Writing

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Don't Let Plot Holes Get You Down

During the editing phase and BETA reading phase there are things that can materialize in your story; plot holes. They can happen to the best of us and usually do. This is why these phases are so vital to publishing your story.

Don’t let plot holes get you down, most of the time they are so minor they can easily be fixed in a few key sentences. I recently just had one myself and I thought it was the end of the world. I was so infuriated I couldn’t see straight. I was blaming myself and my editor for pointing it out. They are there for those reasons. If everyone was a perfect author, we wouldn’t have editors or BETA readers. Let me tell you this, I apologized and I’m still apologizing. I thought I had to spend another three months rewriting the entire book.

Thankfully, I was able to fix it in about three sentences. I was so concerned I was a failure because I couldn’t see the little errors in the story for a quick and easy fix. It’s easy enough, but we like to make things more difficult than what they really are. I cannot stress it enough. I have mentioned this in other blogs. Things are much simpler than what we think they are. I had to take a step back and really think about what my editor told me and where the inconsistencies are. I also had to ask myself, why did I write it that way?

Once I answered these questions it became so much easier for me to come up with a solution. It’s important not to lose sight of what your end goal is. Remember one thing; make sure you go through editing and BETA readers, no matter how much you might not want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment