Writing

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Motivation to Write

Some days it’s hard to get motivated to write. Don’t get me wrong, I love to write. It’s by far the most prominent talent I have. There are still days that I don’t want to do it though. Days like that are hard for me. I really want to write but can’t seem to bring myself to do it. It’s not writer’s block that’s keeping me from writing but motivation.

I use similar techniques for my writer’s block. There are differences for me though. I like to sit outside with a cup of coffee or a cold beer, depending on the time of day. I think about the scene I’m writing on currently. Most of the time, it motivates me enough to get to my computer and get typing. When thinking of my current scene doesn't help, sometimes, thinking of the next one or several ones further down gets me pumped. I want to make it to that scene and I am jacked, ready to go.

There are times where that doesn't help and I need to get away from everything. I’ll leave with my family and go somewhere. Maybe go for a walk or a hike in the mountains. I don’t need to do this often but when I do, it clears my head. I can feel the breeze on my face coming down from the canyons. The smell of the pine trees fills my nostrils with a fresh scent of nature. Leaves, from bushes, rustling all around me and the creeks rushing by with a roar so loud, nothing else can be heard. It’s peaceful.

Finally, there is one show that I watch on a regular basis that motivates me and makes me want to write. Most people are like, its Castle isn’t it? Yeah, I get kind of motivated by Castle. Seeing a writer on screen, sure, it’s motivating but it’s not Castle. Surprisingly enough, it’s Elementary. The romanticized aspect of doing what I want when I want creates a great motivator for me. To write full time is my aspiration. Hopefully one day I’ll be there.

These things will get me motivated when I don’t really want to. I just need to remember the difference between motivation and writer’s block. Comment below if you have suggestions or just want to say hi. 

No comments:

Post a Comment